Monday, September 12, 2011

Interview with Rosanne Dingli

  1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or was there
    something else you wanted to do as a career?
    I wanted to be a graphic artist until I worked for one. Big mistake – it was not the ideal firm to work for. I left the office in disgust, and left the keys on the typewriter. I never went back. That was 1971. I have had a variety of jobs – many of which were connected to writing, publishing, and the book industry. But I have also worked as a cook and a heraldic artist.
    2. If you had the chance to co-author a book with anyone who would it be and why?
    Elizabeth Kostova – we would devise a beautiful literary novel with dozens of music, literature and art references in it. But the plot would be so great that it wouldn’t matter one bit if you didn’t get the references. Kostova did such a magnificent job with The Swan Thieves. It’s the kind of book I always feel I could have written myself. I write in a similar vein, but have never managed one so beautiful.
    3. Are there any books you've read that were so emotional that you teared up?
    Possession by AS Byatt ends in a magical way. I suppose you must have something similar to which you can relate in your own life, to be struck by it in such a forceful emotional way. I’ve read it twice, and both times it choked me up.
    4. What is the first book that you remember reading?
    I have been reading since I was five, which is over half a century ago, so you won’t blame me for mentioning Wish for a Pony by Monica Edwards, which I remember reading when I was about seven. Hardback, with a very battered dust jacket.
    5. If your book was being made into a movie do you already have actors in mind for each role? What bands/singers would you put on the soundtrack?
    I have several books – three of them are novels, and many people have told me that the two that are published should be made into movies. The third will be released by my publishers soon. I am not a very visual person and I don’t watch movies, but I suppose I could put myself through the exercise. Some readers tell me that Father Rob Anderson in According to Luke could be played by Christian Bale or a young George Clooney. The background music would be orchestral, with a lot of church organ, since some of it takes place in churches and monasteries.
    Death in Malta would make a nice mystery movie, I suppose, with Anthony Hopkins as Dr Phineas Micallef. The background music would be instrumental too, perhaps Maltese guitars and some spooky violins.
    6. What are 10 random facts about yourself?
    • I was born and raised in Malta, a tiny island in the Mediterranean, and I very often include it as a location in my writing.
    • I can mirror-write from right to left, in a similar way to how Leonardo da Vinci wrote his notes.
    • I like combining art and writing, so for the launch of my last novel, an artist friend painted over 30 icons in pre-Byzantine style.
    • I went to St Catherine’s High School in Malta, where I got a terrific education.
    • I like 60s and 70s music, and lots of classical stuff like opera.
    • My favourite colour is yellow. I underlined those words because that’s the way we spell them in Australia.
    • I live in Perth, on the west coast of Australia, which is a medium-sized city that’s as windy as Chicago.
    • My family and I own about 4000 books in five languages.
    • I can paint and draw. I like doing birds.
    • My favourite drink is tea.

    ROSANNE DINGLI is an award-winning author from Western Australia. Her forthcoming romantic thriller, Camera Obscura, is soon to be released by BeWrite Books.

1 comment:

  1. Fun interview! love the random facts. I am crazy about the Mediterranean. I hope to see some of it some day.
    If I could ask Rosanne a question of my own it would be: You have seen many great things and been to or even lived all over. How essential to good writing is having these experiences as apposed to someone who lives their life in one place?
    ~The Mythical Chick~

    ReplyDelete